Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte in his quest to fight drugs in his country has ordered police to carry out the strict procedures of his war against drugs even if it is his own son that’s found guilty of drug dealings and criminal activities.
In 2016, a retired policeman and former criminal who accused Paolo of being the mastermind behind the operation said he helped facilitate more than a tonne of ice being shipped into the country. And in a separate report received by Senator Antonio Trillanes, an anti-smuggling group claims they also received intelligence that Paolo was also involved in the illegal importation of luxury cars and other items.
Earlier this month, it was reported that Paolo who faced the Philippines Senate on an accusation, during the hearing, was asked by opposition Senator Antonio Trillane to remove his shirt and display a large tattoo on his back that allegedly proved he was a member of a Chinese faction. But Paolo acknowledged he has a tattoo on his back but refused to remove his shirt.
And on Wednesday, President Duterte was asked about the case during a speech to workers at his palace in Manila, where he told the police to carry out normal procedures should his son be found guilty, to remain consistent and ‘so the people can’t say anything against me’.
‘That’s better… so I can say to people, ‘There, you keep talking. That’s my son’s corpse’. He said.
The President’s strong anti-drugs stance, has reportedly seen more than 9,000 civilians killed for links to drug dealing and use in the country.