As the N-power portal re-opens for the registration of 2017 applicants, it is important we discuss the pros and cons of N-power scheme in Nigeria to enlighten both the graduate and non-graduates.
This will go a long way in preventing the dissatisfactions and disappointments that the pioneer beneficiaries experienced after they were accepted into the programme. An advantage for the prospective N-power second batch.
1. It helps to empower and equip the young Nigerians with relevant technical skills and certification so they can start-up or become innovators in both the domestic and global market and as well make a positive impact in boosting the economy of Nigeria.
2. N-power recruitment helps to reduce the current level of unemployment in Nigeria. Nigerian youths will start getting busy with something productive and profitable other than sitting at home and wasting their intellectual resources and also battling with Frustration, depression, suicidal thoughts, etc.
3. It is a great opportunity for the fresh graduates who are willing to venture into business of their own to save more money for capital in addition to their little savings from the monthly allowance given to them during their youth service by the government.
4. Unlike other companies that will invite many graduates seeking for a job for an interview and will employ only a few to fill up the available vacant positions, N-power 2017 scheme recruits more than 500,000 graduates. So, there is a high possibility you will be among the applicants that will be recruited.
5. Apart from the regular N30,000 monthly stipends given to them by the federal government, graduates who are able to scale through all the verification exercises would also be entitled to receive the credit device facility under the scheme.
Disadvantages of N-Power Scheme in Nigeria
1. The registration and verification exercises involve is too stressful and seems not to be well organized. Errors like page not loading, Site not available and lot more are encountered while going through the verification process on their official website. Though the problem has been reported, there is still no sign of amendment when the N-power portal was re-opened this year. June 2017.
2. Another demerit is that after the N-power test, only few who are lucky are deployed in N-power programmes like N-power Health, N-power Agro, N-power tech where skills can be acquired while the other unlucky applicants are deployed as teachers
4. Another issue is that you can be deployed to a place far away from your location despite the fact you filled your location properly on the N-power portal during registration. This only happens on few occasions though.
5. The Npower scheme is not a permanent one but for just a period of two years. The hustle for a good, secure and paying job will definitely continue for some youths after passing through the scheme.